| || |
MEMORANDUM OF ASSOCIATION AND REGULATIONS
The Palaeobotanical Society was initiated and organized by Late Prof. Birbal Sahni, F.R.S., with seven other members - Prof. K.N. Kaul, Dr. R.N. Lakhanpal, Dr. S.D. Saksena, Dr. R.V. Sitholey, Dr. K. R. Surange, Dr. B.S. Trivedi, and Dr. S. Venkatachary, and registered under the Societies Registration Act. XXI of 1860 on 3rd June, 1946.
The first Governing Body of the Society consisted of Mrs. Savitri Sahni (President), Dr. A.N. Singh, Prof. S. Ranjan, Dr. R.D. Misra, Dr. M.R. Siddiqui (Members) and Prof. Birbal Sahni (Secretary).
On 10th September, 1946 the Governing Body of the Society resolved that an Institute for research in Palaeobotany be established and Prof. Birbal Sahni was appointed as the first Director of the Institute in an honorary capacity. The foundation stone for the new building of the Institute was laid by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, Prime Minister of India on 3rd April, 1949. After the demise of Prof. Sahni on 10th April, 1949, Prof. M. R. Siddiqui proposed at the meeting of the Governing Body of the Society held on 28th October, 1949 that the Institute of Palaeobotany be renamed as "Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeobotany" in honour of its illustrious founder. The new building of the Institute was opened by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, Prime Minister of India, on 3rd January, 1953. The Society continued to develop the Institute till 1969.
In its meeting held on 25th August 1969, the Society authorized its Governing Body to direct the Trustees to transfer the Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeobotany and its assets to a new Society, "Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeobotany Society". This transfer was completed on 12th November, 1969. In December, 1969, the Society reconstituted itself as a professional body and decided to start a journal "GEOPHYTOLOGY" which commenced publication in 1971. "Geophytology" publishes papers on all aspects of Palaeobotany and such branches of Botany and Geology as have bearing on Palaeobotany. So far, 30 volumes have been published.
OF THE PLALAEOBOTANICAL SOCIETY
(AS REVISED AND ADOPTED IN THE GENERAL BODY MEETING HELD ON 29th DECEMBER, 1969)
1. The name of the Society shall be "The Palaeobotanical Society"
2. The object of the Society shall be the promotion of Palaeobotany and allied sciences. For the advancement of the object aforesaid, the Society shall have power -
[a] to publish a journal, books, monographs and any other literature on Palaeobotany and related fields;
[b] to hold scientific meetings and organize lectures, seminars etc.;
[c] to draw and accept, make and endorse and discount and negotiate Government of India and other promissory notes, bills of exchange, cheques or other negotiable instruments;
[d] to invest the funds of, or money entrusted to the Society upon such securities or in such manner as may from time to time be determined by the Executive Council and from time to time sell or transpose such instruments;
[e] to purchase, take on lease, accept as a gift or Trust or otherwise acquire any land, building or any other property wherever situated which may be necessary, convenient or beneficial to the Society with such conditions and obligations as may be agreed upon or imposed;
[f] to sell, lease, exchange and otherwise transfer all or any portion of the properties of Society;
[g] to make, amend, alter, modify, cancel, annul and remake rules and regulations for carrying out the object and management of the Society, and to register the same under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, or any other law which may be applicable;
[h] to do all such other acts as may generally be considered necessary for achieving the above object.